OT : Chassis punches

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 19:00:13 CST 2014

Howdy Fred,

Your tools, your rules, of course..

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014, drlegendre . wrote:
> > If you want to speed-up the operation, drive the punch through with an
> > impact wrench once you've got it properly started.
>
> On tools that I own, such as chassis punches and screw pullers, I will not
> let people use impact wrenches on lead screws.

On screw pullers, I fully agree - that's just not how they work! You draw
the puller to full tension, then give a few sharp raps on the screw with a
heavy, but soft metal (bronze or lead) hammer. If that makes things loose,
then tighten the puller again and repeat until it pops free.

But what's wrong with using a power tool to run a punch through, once it's
properly started - and you're confident that you're not trying to force it
through material that's beyond its limit? I'd agree that it not exactly
desirable, but for speeding through a few operations, particularly in soft
/ thin materials, I don't see how it's going to damage anything.