list issues & status

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Wed Nov 5 15:46:02 CST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014, at 13:51, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 09:49:50AM -0800, Al Kossow wrote:
> > On 11/5/14 8:40 AM, Peter Corlett wrote:
> >> I suspect if I subscribed you to some of my mailing lists without any means
> >> of unsubscription, you'd be likewise somewhat miffed.
> > As long as people are working on the list, can we fix it so that 'reply' and
> > 'reply list' go to different places?
>
> SMTP/RFC822 don't have such concepts, so that's a MUA-specific extension
> that
> lists cannot rely upon unless it's a closed list with known MUAs such as
> on a
> homogenous corporate network.

"Reply to list", where it exists at all, probably uses the List-Post
header defined in RFC 2369. SMTP and RFC *2*822 are not the be-all and
end-all of mailing standards. (See also RFC 2919 for List-Id)

RFC 2369/2919 headers found in your post:
 <mailto:cctalk-request at classiccmp.org?subject=subscribe>

There is no standard-based support for rewriting the user's Reply-To
header (which practice irrevocably discards the original Reply-To and
incites people to, incorrectly, reply to the From header). See also
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html [the Mail-Followup-To
header it proposes is not the subject of any RFC]