Osborne Vixen - Zenith 7" display t-shooting issues

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 19:58:37 CST 2014

Looks like we're mostly over the hump with the list breakage, so it's time
to post an update on this.

Our friend Chuck cracked the first nut, by essentially solving the mystery
of the HOT. Turns out that the "1070" marking is an abbreviated Zenith
in-house part number; the full version is 121-1070. Also turns out that the
121-1070, like the Zenith 121-1039 in his 12" display apparently crosses to
an NTE 379, which itself may effectively be a BU408. Again, a big round of
thanks for Chuck on this work.. score one for the flame of knowledge.

So based on the specs of the NTE 379 with an avg, beta of 18-24 (min. 6/8 /
max. 30/40), the extant HOT (1070) with a measured beta of 11-12 may
actually be in-spec, albeit on the very low side. But an average of ~18-24
is a far cry from the 150 of the unit in-use.. so that leads me to a
question, of course.

The HOT basically acts as a switch in this application - it's really an
on/off proposition vs. linear amplification. So why is it that the original
HOT wasn't able to transition to a sufficiently low C-E resistance to do
the job? For some reason, I have the odd feeling that this is due to a lack
of base drive, rather than an excessive load imposed by either the HV
supply, yoke and/or the derived tertiary supplies (15V, 50V). Here's my
line of logic:

The beta / Hfe / gain doesn't really matter - if the HOT saturates, it
saturates and falls to a very low C-E resistance. The sub part (NTE 375,
which is a +vertical+ opt. part) is obviously saturating, as we're getting
plenty of deflection & output from all the supplies. If the original 1070
doesn't produce the same results, then it seems the the reasons are pretty
limited...

It can't be due to excessive loading by the tertiary or HV supplies, as
those can only rise as high as a saturated HOT will allow. +It's not as if
the NTE 375 has any significantly lower "on" resistance than the 1070
could, if both are saturated, right?+ So then, if the various supplies &
deflection are OK with the 375, there's nothing a "better" or "stronger"
HOT could do to increase those levels - see my logic?

This points to only one (well, two) possibilities: Either the base drive is
inadequate to saturate the low-gain 1070 (yet fine to saturate the NTE 375,
with 10X the gain) -OR- there is some defect in the 1070 itself that's
squelching what would otherwise be an adequate base drive - i.e. its input
impedance has somehow fallen very low, and way out of spec such that it's
killing the drive.

Your comments are not only appreciated, but basically required.. ;-)