Osborne Vixen - Zenith 7" display t-shooting issues

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 11:35:23 CST 2014

Chuck & All,

Hey, now +that's+ interesting.. I did look at the data for the MJE13007 and
while I'm not exactly up-to-speed on solid state stuff, the specs seem to
compare very well with the generic NTE 379 we've been discussing. And much
like the NTE, suggested apps include SMPS, inverters and deflection
circuits (I assume when they state the latter, "analog CRT" is implied?).

Likewise, the PHE 13005 also compares fairly well, though it seems to have
somewhat lower current ratings, both collector and base.  The data
specifies "lighting ballast" and makes no mention of SMPS or deflection
service, though. I'm going to make a guess that it's not quite as fast a
switching part as the others.. or maybe the 'on' resistance is a bit
high-ish? But all three devices discussed have the same low beta, 8-10 min
/ 30-40 max.

Naturally, I binned half a dozen bad CFLs only a week ago..

So Chuck, if it were yours, I take it that you'd throw a 13007 at it
without a whole lot of further thought? It's looking very appealing, being
I can buy 10 of them for about $4.50 including shipping, and they clearly
have lots of other uses (like repairing SMPSUs and other small computer
monitors).