Osborne Vixen - Zenith 7" display t-shooting issues

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 10:54:59 CST 2014

Good god! Here's a choice quote from the linked article:

"The Underwriters Laboratories, the organization responsible for the safety
and testing of the bulbs, said some manufacturers have changed the
circuitry to reduce the negative effects when the bulbs burn out. They say
people should not be alarmed if they see smoke or flames, however.
“The reality is in investigations of these incidents, we generally find
it’s just the end of life,” said the organization."

Not to be "alarmed" if they see smoke or flames, and "It's just the END OF
LIFE"?! Wow, nice choice of words, there.. yeah, the end of life for the
children sleeping upstairs, I guess.

So I'm not really the conspiracy type - but either the UL has been
bought-off by the CFL mfrs, or that organization is a pale, hollow shell of
its former self. Since when in hell does the UL not consider +open flames+
from a small appliance to be a cause for alarm? There was a time when they
freaked-out over excessively large or improperly placed cooling slots, that
could allow a child (or idiot) to stick an object into the works of an
electrical device.. and yet today they brush-off light bulbs that
'commonly' emit smoke and flame?