Osborne Vixen - Zenith 7" display t-shooting issues

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 21:31:08 CST 2014

Tony,

Yeah, I see now how the button acts as a manual starter. Fluorescent
lighting is one of those things I've just never bothered to think about -
so I read the Wiki article on it, and now I've got it down. It's such a
ubiquitous technology, that I've never had the occasion to need to know
much about it.. just replace the bulb when it won't light, and if that
doesn't do it, check the starter.. failing that, replace the ballast or the
whole dang fixture, if it's one of those workbench cheap-o units.

Oh - and there is one more component in the Luxo. There's a cap wired in
parallel with the tube, probably does double-duty as power factor
correction and saving the starter switch contacts from arc damage when they
break open and the coil kicks back.