Kearney & Trecker Core memory, may be PDP8

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Wed Nov 12 14:30:23 CST 2014

On 11/12/2014 7:43 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2014-11-12 06:12, Jon Elson wrote:

>>> The fact that the board have four edge connectors and not six totally
>>> excludes PDP-11.
>> The first and last picture of the ebay listing above clearly has SIX
>> edge connectors.
>
> Doh. I was mixing up different images from different listings. Sorry.
>
>> And, in fact, a number of PDP-11 peripheral boards had only 4
>> connectors.
>> CPU boards and memory did usually have 6.
>
> There were definitely quad height boards, but I don't think I ever saw
> a PDP-11 board that was hex height with only four edge connectors. But
> I'm sure you will point me to one now. :-)
>
>     Johnny

I never said the boards with 4 connectors which appear to be hex high
were anything to do with Dec, other than they were replacement boards of
some sort.  I was sort of hoping they might be Harris 6100 boards and 12
bit, but as Al K pointed out the processor chip is probably Motorola
which rules that out.

If you zoom in you will notice that none of these boards seem to have
flipchip connector.  I have not squinted to see if they might fit
without the keying feature on the board as well.  Dec was very
protective of that and sued or hassled anyone who used that form factor
or edge card arrangement, and these guys may have kept the form factor
for card cage physical handling and used other connectors.  I've not
seen much other than this one vendors boards.

I guess they didn't need the count of connections and dropped two
connectors for cost.

thanks
jim