mainframes and other stuff

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Fri Nov 21 04:25:07 CST 2014

On 11/20/2014 11:36 AM, Electronics Plus wrote:
> Mainframes and other stuff
>

> Recycle center in NC is willing to save out "stuff" for people.
>
> No, no one can go in the back and scrounge.
>
> No, he does not want a lot of emails from people.
>
> Yes, he gets big blue and orange and beige 6 foot tall OLD mainframes in all
> the time.  They squash them at the moment.
Specifically for the IBM / Amdahl etc.

Blue, Red, Orange cabinets

3180 6' box 500# $300
3380 6' box disk drive 600# $300
3370 disk drives, need A and B units $200 (also 3375 if the storage 3180
box comes with it)
4321, 31, 41, 61, these are "deep freeze shaped" $500- $1000
4381 6' box, 900# $1000
370 anything hold out before touching.  will catch a jet to look at it
if it is processor
360 anything if any exists that isn't known by the community, of
course.  I don't think any is hiding that someone doesn't know about.
Again, probably someone would fly out to access and make a deal.
Cables.  Channel cables especially blue ones are getting rare, and all
the above needs them  They have the 2 x 6 x 4" channel connectors.
The blue ones have more wires and will work on older equipment that
doesn't need all the wires.  The older cables may not do that. $30-40
3420 600# $300  (tape drive)
3803 800# $300 (tape controller) (both needed)
3278 (terminals)
3179 (color terminal) (only coax, twinax not so much)

I am sure the above would be shelled out by any mainframe collector,
just naming names for the guy to list out.  I've personally bought at
this price range.  Basically will pay double metal value.  There is some
gold in the processors that may now bump the price there, that is just
what I got it for originally.

I don't have any idea about Amdahl numbers.  They used the same storage
chains as IBM with their colors, as did Hitachi.

I'm sure there are none, but an RCA  Spectra 70 or anything 80's and
later big iron Univac would also have IBM storage, and all would be
interesting, i'm sure.

For the air cooled (43xx) mainframes, they have special consoles and
control cables, it is critical to collect that when the boxes are
delivered.  It is like the current shows with airplane repossessions,
Get the airplane with logs $  dollars for the deal. Recover it w/o logs,
half the value to even less.  The 360's and 370's had some requirements
too, but it would be sad if the power and control gizmos for the
mainframes were lost.