RX01 Floppies

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 14:44:49 CST 2014

> > Is it correct that RX01 format floppies can be created from blank
> > floppies with a standard PC floppy controller (or at least some
> > controllers / motherboards, depending on the controller chip) while
> > RX02 format floppies cannot?
>
> Yup.  The RX02 ("double density") use a whacky MFM scheme (with some
> code substitutions) for data with FM sector headers.  Not doable at all
> with a standard PC setup.  RX01s are pretty much stock FM.

I seem to remember that if you format an 8" floppy, single sided, single density
'IBM3740 format' (the standard one, 77 tracks, 26 sectors/track, 128 bytes/sector)
then at least an RX02, and probably an RX01 can be convinced to put the DEC
type directory, etc. on it. An RX02 can re-format it as MMFM too.

Most CP/M machines with 8" drives can do the intial format

-tony