RX01 Floppies

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Nov 21 20:25:56 CST 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> Generic _single-density_ floppies are what the RX01/2 needs. So AFAIK any
> pre-formatted single-density floppy will work in either one. AFAIK,
> originally, all SSSD floppies came already low-level formatted, but that may
> have changed later on.

Yes.

> (I don't recall if DSSD floppies exist; if they did,
> the RX0x would probably just ignore the second side.)
Unfortunatewly, on 8" disks, the index hole is not in the same place for
SS V DS disks.  So, "ignoring" the second side isn't feasable.
However, you COULD punch an additional set of holes in the jacket to
"convert" a DS disk inro a SS disk.

> I'm not sure what you mean by 'blank' - did you mean 'no data/ file
> system', or 'not low-level formatted'?
That does seems to be the issue.  128 bytes per sector FM seems to be the
"low level" formatting required, as doable by many other machines.