Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Mon Nov 24 11:59:47 CST 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014, at 16:20, tony duell wrote:
> Mind you the old wiring regulations, at least in the UK, make horrifying
> reading. At
> one time it was required to put a fuse in both the live and neutral wires
> (and if the
> latter failed the whole circuit was live).

In the US, it was once (before 1923) legal to have three-way switches
installed in a way that could invert live and neutral for the switched
sockets, and could result in the whole circuit being live.

> I believe at one time in the UK, electricity for lighting was more
> expensive per kWh than that
> supplied for 'power' (which mean heating, cooking, etc). As a result,
> appliances below a
> certain power had to be connected to the lighting circuit, which often
> didn't have an earth wire.

Wikipedia says it was the other way around - lighting was cheaper,
creating a natural incentive to plug any device you could get away with
into the lighting circuit.