Yay, now I need some Osborne boot media!

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Nov 24 13:58:18 CST 2014

On 11/24/2014 11:25 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> I guess I don't understand this. Single-density FM and double-density MFM
> have the same maximum number of flux reversals per unit distance (which is
> how the RX02 can write double-density data on a single-density floppy). So
> from the magnetic domain perspective, the coating can't really see any
> difference between single-density FM and double-density MFM. So what's
> the difference, if any, between a disk which is "rated for FM" and one
> "rated for MFM"?

That one had me puzzled as well.  In terms of *labeling*, some
manufacturers DID label their media as single- or double-density, which
to me means nothing more than they were verified using that particular
modulation.

Much the same situation exists for 5.25" media labeled "48 tpi", "96
tpi" or "100 tpi".

--Chuck