Yay, now I need some Osborne boot media!

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Nov 24 14:11:33 CST 2014

One of the easier methods of crossing the old-new divide is to replace
or add a 3.5" floppy drive to the XT and use 2D (not high-density) media
to exchange.  Leave the other 5.25" floppy where it is.  Of course,
you'll need the header-to-edge adapter and the power cable adapter, but
AFAIK, they're still available--as well as drive bracket adapters.

Later versions of MS-DOS (I don't recall exactly when, but I think it
was around 3.3 or earlier, have a DRIVER.SYS installable driver to
handle the full 720K)--otherwise, you may be restricted to writing 360K.

The actual type 3.5" drive doesn't matter much--you can use an HD or DD
drive, so long as it's media-sense and not host-directed for density
(almost all are) and you use DD disks (or cover the media type aperture
on the floppy.)

--Chuck