Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Nov 25 14:49:11 CST 2014

On 11/25/2014 12:17 PM, Eric Smith wrote:

> On the other hand, distributing three-phase to residences, while great
> for people with shop equipment or old computers, seems like expensive
> overkill for normal homes.

And expensive.  Copper isn't cheap and a 3-phase distribution
transformer costs considerably more than a single-phase one--and
provides very little advantage.

I'll submit that if your goal is phase-to-phase balancing, distributing
single-phase to individual residences and then shifting the residences
to one phase or the other is probably better in that respect.  In
Germany, ordinary wall receptacles are single-phase, so depending on the
homeowner to phase-balance his load is probably not the best policy.  On
the other hand, doing the same for multi-residence (i.e. apartment
blocks) does make sense.

The homes on my loop (each has its own single-phase stepdown
transformer, but the loop itself is fed by 3-phase HV) are, every few
years, rebalanced.  Each residence has a large green distribution box
where the property line meets the street.  All three HV lines come into
each box--re-balancing is just a matter of of swapping connections in
the box.  Takes but a few minutes.

This may not be typical for the US, but my utility is a rural electric
co-op, so there's less emphasis on profits and more on member benefits.

--Chuck