Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Nov 27 11:16:12 CST 2014

On 11/26/2014 10:10 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> In the US, if your house was wired for three-phase, you would have
> 208V nominal across your clothes dryer and range outlets, rather than
> 240V.  A friend lived in an apartment building wired that way, and
> they routinely had problems with appliances designed for 240V not
> working properly or failing on the 208V.
Yes, there are industrial air conditioning and such gear 
made for 208/240 use.
Generally, most consumer-grade A/C's are 240 only.  The 208 
V situation in
the apartment buildings is quite common, and the gear 
installed when the building
went up would be the right type.  Any A/C installer who goes 
to an apartment
building OUGHT to know about this, and if they installed a 
240 V unit there, they
were just not well-trained.

Our building at work has 240 V Delta, 120/208 V Wye and 480 
V Delta, rather
haphazardly scattered around.  The office area has the 
120/208 and there are
autotransformers attached to the walls near the windows for 
running 240 V
window A/C units off the 208 V.


More information about the cctalk mailing list