SGI Origin side skins

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Wed Apr 1 01:55:41 CDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 07:37:54PM -0400, Sean Caron wrote:
> Just my opinion but if no functional issue I'd probably just leave them as
> they are...

I agree! Try to clean the plastic in place, be careful with the solvent
you choose. Test whatever you clean it with on a spot that is not
visible.

> I'm not sure if this was such an issue on the higher end systems i.e.
> Octane, Origin/Onyx, Tezro, etc. but if I were in your shoes, my concern
> would be that the side skins could fracture or shear in the process of
> being removed or reinstalled.

My experience is that the skins on the Octane, Indigo, Indy and Personal
Iris holds upp pretty well.

The O2 and Indigo2 are ok, but you have to be careful.

The Origin 200 and Origin 2000 are absolutely horrible!! Strangely the
Onyx2 seems to hold up better, it has been suggested that the blue color
in the O200 and O2k might be involved and the Onyx2 is purple. The rack
version has metal tabs where the deskside have plastics.

I've never seen an original Onyx, Challenge or Crimson but I've read
they are fairly brittle as well.

That being said, I have an Origin2000 with the skins removed and I could
look at them to see if I can figure how the sides comes.

The reason I haven't put the skins back on is that lots of little pieces
broke off when it was removed and as long as the machine is in storage
it is probably best to leave them off. I expect to spend some time
repairing when time comes to assemble it.

Regards,
Pontus.