RL02K Pack Reliability/Characteristics

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Wed Apr 1 05:01:39 CDT 2015

On 01/04/2015 04:58, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2015-04-01 05:26, Christopher Parish wrote:
>> Thanks for your help everyone.  I finally figured out what was
>> happening.  Something is wrong with my (everyone's?) drives.

>> In the process, I have confirmed that sometimes the drive does
>> mis-seek when making larger jumps across the pack.  A single follow up
>> seek is almost always enough.

> This sounds strange. Are you sure you are not just fiddling with the
> head here? A head switch will taste like a seek, but it might actually
> not move you as you would expect...

It does sound strange.  As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I've been
ministering to an RL02 that occasionally had problems on the outer
tracks (possibly elsewhere but I never noticed that).  Copying packs and
almost all seek/read/write worked fine but a very few operations didn't.
  All the voltage, alignment and timing tests in the technical manual
checked out except for jitter running the oscillating seek tests (access
time checks) - especially for longer seeks.  To cut a long story short,
there was a fault in the drive's DLM.  Replacing it removed the jitter
and the drive now behaves perfectly.

--
Pete

Pete Turnbull