RD54 Stopped Spinning

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 4 14:57:15 CDT 2015

> here the schematics of the XT 1140 from a basic four manual
>
> http://www.ardiehl.de/basicfour/download/mai2000/Maxtor_XT-1140_Schematics.pdf

Thanks for that, it is something I have been looking for for some time.

Page 9 of that .pdf seems to show the spindle motor controller. My guess is the 3 signals
H1, H2, H3 are the signals from the 3 hall sensors in the motor. I think I would start by
seeing what is there (look as though they should be TTL signals, so easy to check) and
also see what the Z8 is sending to the motor driver circuits.

Y1 is the clock crystal, see page 12 of that pdf. I assume it is oscillating, do you see the
expected 6MHz on pin 9 of U41?

I don't think it'll be possible (or at least not at all easy to replace the hall sensors. My guess is that
 the angular position of the platters is critical and they won't centralise accurately enough either.
So I would only dismantle the HDA as a (very) last resort.

-tony