SC-40 update

Rich Alderson RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Fri Apr 17 19:19:39 CDT 2015

From: Cory Smelosky
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2015 5:11 PM

> On Fri, 17 Apr 2015, Rich Alderson wrote:

>> MFD (Master File Directory).  It's not quite the same internally as a User
>> File Directory.  Also found in the tables, come to think of it.

> I assume you want me to look at FILDDT on the images copied to a TOPS-10
> system, correct, or is there a quick shortcut to FILDDT for a device?

Device-direct I/O is available under FILDDT.  Do it from the console login so
that you're properly 1,2.  If you run FILDDT and type /H to its prompt, you
will see what the options are.  Basically, you want something like RPA0:/U to
start, and remember to multiply every sector number by 200 (octal) to get the
disk address right.  The HOM blocks are sectors 1 and 12, so their addresses
are 200 and 2400 respectively.

> Happen to have any idea how to boot one from tape?  Copy a DEC bootstrap
> to the MSP disk and pray it considers one of the SCSI drives as a
> supported drive?

Since DEC never supported SCSI hardware (that was done independently by SC and
XKL at different times for different hardware), that's never going to work.

I don't have an SC install manual, so I can't begin to guess how to boot from
tape.  Sorry.

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Systems Engineer
Living Computer Museum
2245 1st Avenue S
Seattle, WA 98134

mailto:RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org

http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/