CompuServe Drives: Custom firmware?

jim s jwsmail at jwsss.com
Mon Apr 20 20:28:52 CDT 2015

On 4/20/2015 5:19 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Rich Alderson wrote:
>
>>> BSD FTP clients disliking it?
>>
>> I don't see you logging in anywhere.  Did you edit that out, or did you
>> forget?
>>

> I edited that out.
>
> 230- User ANONYMOUS, job 9, logged in at
> 230- 20-Apr-2015 16:47:44.
>

>> Rich
>>

>> Rich Alderson
>> Vintage Computing Sr. Systems Engineer
>> Living Computer Museum
>> 2245 1st Avenue S
>> Seattle, WA 98134
>>
>> mailto:RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org
>>
>> http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/

Rich,
I also had difficulty with the FTP, but trying to use Filezilla.  I
specified remote system type VMS for lack of any other filezilla OS that
would take PS:<x.x.x> file names.

I got a good anonymous session, but the PWD command was rejected by the
server, and at that point Filezilla has a hissy fit and stops.

I used the server->custom command to try to issue a LIST and NLST
command to the server, but it was having none of that, and those
commands time out after about 15 seconds.

The linux command line FTP works fine.

I wonder if Cory's problem was / is an active vs. passive issue? Does
your firewall allow passive connections?  (I think those are the ones
which drill back at the server IP and expect to get another socket).
I've had problems with that in the past, and have had to fiddle with
various clients to get the right combination for the server.

But on the Filezilla problem, I am not sure what the "dir" command on
the linux command line client translates to that works, whereas issuing
that as a custom command it is rejected.

I just used mget to grab the documentation from the command line, so
problem solved anyway.

BTW with various people looking for Panda, I've not found anything, but
am not giving up.  I could swear I found access to it some time ago and
got some stuff downloaded.

thanks
Jim