Pertec Tape Drive Interface Musings

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Mon Aug 3 21:06:12 CDT 2015

On 8/3/15 6:41 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> On 08/03/2015 03:40 PM, Al Kossow wrote:
>> On 6/10/15 8:17 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
>>>

>>> I got a Pertec key to tape system surplus, and created a mostly software interface with very minimal hardware to read and write tapes on my S-100 Z-80 system.
>>
>> XL-40?
>>
> The system I had was, I'm pretty sure, made by Pertec.  I still have the manuals for it, and curiously they don't list ANY manufacturer in the title block.  It was a really small thing, about 19
> inches wide and 12 inches tall, with a fairly stock spring-arm 9 track drive with 7" tape reels.
>
> I couldn't find the listing on eBay.
>
> Jon

do you have anything on the instruction set?

here is the auction for the manuals
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321821273842

If you look in his completed auctions, the boards are there. I doubt anyone bought them.
He still has two Fuji 2322s and an NEC SMD drive listed that I'm guessing came out them
and he has a Pertec 8640, but I doubt he's going to bother to list it.

I also rescued a XL40 diag tape.