Bad block list printouts with drives - was Re: Unusual stuff inside computers

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 21:28:13 CDT 2015

On 08/03/2015 09:04 PM, Toby Thain wrote:
> Some of my drives have paper printouts of bad blocks that are folded and
> fit into a plastic sleeve that's attached to the drive.
>
> Don't have access to brands/models right now, sorry. These would be the
> larger, full height, 80s vintage drives; possibly early SCSI and possibly
> accompanying Sun 3 gear.

I've certainly seen that on Imprimis drives before.

On one of my machines (Kaypro PC, I think) the printout is folded and
tucked between the drive and the chassis, rather than being on the drive
itself. My recollection is that there's more to it than a simple bad block
list - i.e. it's the test summary from soak-testing the drive (possibly by
the system rather than drive manufacturer).

cheers

Jules