Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Aug 6 11:24:13 CDT 2015

On 08/06/2015 08:04 AM, Sean Caron wrote:

> If you think the MP3000 is a slow booter, we just got some new 4U
> machines in where I work; 1.5TB RAM; those things take almost 20
> minutes to POST - no joke!

Booting an old CDC 6000-series machine meant mounting a "deadstart"
tape, pushing the button just below the screens on the DD60, entering or
editing the equipment status table, then going out for a smoke (not me)
or a cup of coffee, while the system copied the deadstart tape to disk.
  The next prompt was to enter the date and time.

People are too impatient today.

--Chuck