Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Thu Aug 6 22:54:28 CDT 2015

Cool!  I've toyed with the idea of getting a larger mainframe (zSeries)
but the aspect of trying
to get and configure storage for it is the main stumbling block.

I didn't realize how lucky I was with mine until I started hearing about
the horror stories from
others.  I think what helped was that mine wasn't "molested" before I
received it.  In addition
to arriving in the original IBM shipping crate (really?  who keeps
that?) it also had all of the
"extras" in terms of cables, terminators, etc still unopened.  The only
thing that I'm missing
is some of the software and diagnostics that were supplied on either
tape or CD.

I *really* have to figure out a backup solution for this so that I don't
get stuck but that
supposes that I have a way to re-create the OS/2 image that's already
there if I do have to
do a full from scratch restore.

TTFN - Guy