OT: Slow booting, was re: Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 7 12:26:35 CDT 2015

On 07/08/15 04:56, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 08/06/2015 08:20 PM, Josh Dersch wrote:
>> You might check whether the BIOS config is set to autodetect drives
>> at startup; in many BIOSes each IDE channel can be set to Auto/None
>> or a specific config.  Try setting all installed drives to a specific
>> configuration, and any unused channels to None.  Autodetection can
>> sometimes take a long time.  I also find that detection of cd/dvd
>> drives is sometimes very slow...
>>
>> (apologies for top-posting, responding on my phone which has a
>> primitive editor...)
>

> I already do that.  Note that the "dead time" occurs before getting
> the message "Inspecting IDE configuration", so I don't think it's
> that. Network boot is turned off, BTW.

I don't think I have your exact supermicro board but ones I've used in
the past have had on board SCSI that had to be disabled
otherwise it would sit there for 30s thinking about why things were so
quiet on the bus.

Similarly PXE boot takes a while, but you say you've turned that off.

I don't think I got the one I was playing with down to much less than
30s ... which felt like an age even though I wasn't booting it very often.

Antonio