VAX4000/300 MNS7.3 isntallation from CDROM

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Fri Aug 7 17:09:21 CDT 2015

On 2015-08-07 18:22, Holm Tiffe wrote:

> Hmm.. it seems that the pdf is containing thestuff that I've already read
> somewhere on HP's website.
>
> There are two possibilities:
>

> [>>> B/R5:10000000 DKA400:
> [
> [
> [If you are booting from an InfoServer device, enter a command that
> [specifies root 1. For example, on a VAX 6000 computer, enter:
> [
> [
> [>>> B/R5:10000100/X:D/B:6 ET0
> [
>
> Ok, the first should fit with an abbrevation:
>
>   B/R5:10000000 DUA3
>
> (I have a VAX4000-300 not an VS4000/90, nor I have an VAX6000..)
>
> and this boots until the message with the write protected disk
> dua3..(sorry, don't have it handy..) and than the system hangs.
>
> When I simply boot  B dua3 the install system asks for a date
> and I finally get a "$". Thats all..

That is all that is to be expected. Not sure what you were expecting,
but if you read the VMS installation manuals, you will see that this is
where you should end up.

And at this point, you run BACKUP to restore the initial saveset to a
disk, and then you boot that disk to continue.

> That's why I've asked what todo..

And now you know. :-)

	Johnny