VAX4000/300 MNS7.3 isntallation from CDROM

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Sat Aug 8 05:21:28 CDT 2015

Holm Tiffe wrote:

> Peter Coghlan wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 at 08:21:07 +0200, Holm Tiffe <holm at freibergnet.de> wrote:
> >

> > > I'm starting the image restore and now I have a problem that the DSSI disks
> > > are "not software enabled".
> > >

> > I'm not sure but I think I recall getting that error when trying to mount a
> > disk that had media problems :-(
>
> Yes, so are the hints in the manuals.
> .. but I've erased and verified thoses disks with the Utilities on them
> (>>> set host/dup/DSSI/bus:0 0 params)
> and that verify came up w/o errors. I had one disk that would'nt spin up
> after power up and I've repaired that disk with an rubber hammer :-)
> (Reported that months before) ..but taht I'snt the disk I'm trying to
> install.
>
> I've used the RF Series Integrated Storage Element Users Guide
> (http://computer-refuge.org/classiccmp/dec94mds/rf72dug8.pdf)
> to do this and in this moment I've run Verify again:
>
> LBN Statistics:
>                      0 Total Block(s) in error
> Complete
> ..Hmm
>
> So I think I missed one step, a logical format or so... on the other side
> I can find no hints what that could be..
>
> My tries to install produces the same errors on the two RF31 disks,
> haven't tried to install on the RF71 but could do this, they are all empty.
>
> Regards,
>
> Holm

Tried the RF71 and it worked!
After the successful backup the Backup asked for a "YES" if I would do
additional actions and I've tried DIA0 agin wich resulted in the same
errors.

So I think I must have done something different wit that DSSI DUP utiliy.

Any hints?

Regards

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info at tsht.de, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741