VAX4000/300 MNS7.3 isntallation from CDROM

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 8 14:25:12 CDT 2015

On 08/08/15 12:50, Holm Tiffe wrote:
>  No the thing is that I know almost nothing about VMS (and RSX11), I'm
> a unix guy as you know. P

> Have you an VMS mount command handy that I should try? Regards, Holm

It sounds like you have VMS installed on one disk and at least one other
disk doesn't seem to be working.

I suspect that it will be much easier to diagnose further issues from
VMS rather than from the limited stand-alone environment
or the limited console environment.

So boot VMS (which should just be BOOT whatever-the-disk-id-is) and then
use SHOW DEVICE to look at the state of the disks.

One of the ones you could not restore to was (iirc) DIA0. Hopefully it
will show up with that name or possibly something$DIA0.

You want to do something like:

$ INIT DIA0: label

If that completes without error then

$ MOUNT/SYSTEM DIA0: label

If that works without error then your disk is ready.

I assume that in your case the INIT will fail, in which case the SHOW
DEVICE DIA0:/FULL will probably be helpful in determining the next step.

Antonio