Classic programming

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Aug 9 11:54:03 CDT 2015

On 08/09/2015 08:31 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Johnny Billquist
>
>      > And one should not forget Algol.
>
> IIRC, Algol is mentioned in the paper I linked to. Of course, Algol's DNA is
> in pretty much every procedural language ever created since it was.

It seems everyone has forgotten JOVIAL (1959).

PL/I was remarkable for the fact that it's the language that nobody
involved with the language really wanted.    I do remember a few stories
about that told to me by a fellow who worked on COMBTRAN and steadfastly
refused to be involved with said PL/I project.

A couple of years later, one of my compatriots was involved with coming
up with the ANSI standard for the thing.  His view was not much
different that my other friend's.

--Chuck