Writing 8" floppies with SuperCard Pro

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 15:05:34 CDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> My drives are configured to take either index signal--so it doesn't matter
> if the media is coded as SS or DS.  Many floppy drives can do this.

Some 8-inch double-sided drives don't care about which index sensor is
active, other than to output the appropriate logic level on the TWO
SIDED interface signal, but will let you read and write both sides of
single-sided media.

Some drives, like the Mitsubishi M2896-63, can be configured to
suppress the READY output if the second side of a single-sided disk is
selected, or to ignore the sidedness of the medium.  Mitsubishi refers
to this as "Ready Standard" vs. "Ready Modified".