Shugart 800-8 media centering problem

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Aug 14 13:33:26 CDT 2015

On 08/14/2015 09:27 AM, Jay Jaeger wrote:

> When I look at the cartridge guide without the spindle clamp in
> place, it is now centered above the spindle, and at the same distance
> from the spindle as my drive that does not have these issues.
>
> Anybody have any experience like this?  Thoughts?  There really
> isn't much to adjust on these things.

Is this a drive that you've had in service for some time, or did you
just take possession of the drive?

If the latter, I suspect that someone's already tinkered with the drive.
  The first place that I'd look would be the spindle assembly
itself--when you pull the spindle drive pulley, things tend to fall out
all over the place.  There's a significant preload on the spindle and
bearings.   The hub clamp itself more or less "floats", and centers
itself, so no real issues there unless the clamp itself is damaged.

My own worthless .02,
Chuck