QIC-24 data analysis

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Aug 16 11:19:21 CDT 2015

On 08/16/2015 08:24 AM, dwight wrote:
> I left a note there about using CRCs to do data correction. It is a
> simpler method for software than normally use.

I posted a link on VCF about using GNU CRC RevEng--a great little
utility to aid in determining polynomials and initial conditions for
CRCs.   Not too different from figuring oddball floppy encodings.

What I'd like to see is a QIC mechanical solution that treats DC carts
as a reel-to-teel drive--no tension band worries.  I imagine this could
be done by motorizing the takeup and supply reels and putting in a
driven capstan with suitable RPM control.  Head positioning, of course,
could be handled the normal way.   Perhaps an old top-of-the-line audio
cassette transport could be adapted.

--Chuck