QIC-24 data analysis

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Sun Aug 16 17:20:56 CDT 2015

On 8/16/2015 3:22 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> On 08/16/2015 10:15 AM, Jay Jaeger wrote:
>>

>> More likely, apply the technology used on some 9 Track drives:  a little
>> tension arm and then use servos to drive the supply and takeup reels,
>> and an encoder (*not* driven) that measures speed (in place of the
>> capstan on older drives).
>
> Maybe--I know the method--you see it on some Cipher drives and it's even
> on my tape cleaning machine.  A capstan-pinch roller, I think is no
> worse and might actually help with wrinkled QIC tapes that have made a
> mess inside of a QIC cartridge when their tension belts have rotted out.
>
> --Chuck

One issue with the capstan idea, though, would be direction.  Capstans
really want to pull.  Not very good a pushing.  ;)  So if you did that,
and you wanted to direction operation (required if you can't stream the
entire tape), then you'd need two sets of capstans like the big IBM and
the like 7 and 9 track tape drives had.