Creating 5.25" floppies

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Aug 17 18:09:41 CDT 2015

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015, Chris Osborn wrote:
> Anything that will run ImageDisk or Teledisk will work. It doesn’t
> necessarily have to be one of those computers, you could pull the 360k
> drives from one of them and hook them into a “newer” PC that still
> has 5.25” 360k floppy support. There’s usually 360k floppy support
> on motherboards up to the Pentium III era.

There are plenty of PCs that can run ImageDisk and/or Teledisk that CAN
NOT do single density (FM).  Neither of those pieces of software alter the
hardware capabilities of the machine.

> I personally use an old ABIT KT7A-RAID board which has a controller
> which is capable of writing single-density/FM disks. I’ve got a
> half-height 5.25” 360k drive in it connected as drive B and a 3.5”
> 1.44M as drive A. I’ve used it quite often to create disks from my
> original TRS-80 Model I which can only do SSSD. I’ve also used it to
> make disks for the Kaypro and even make disks for my HP-150 which uses
> single-sided 3.5” disks.

It is good that YOUR machine has FM/single-density capability.
And, yes, if your machine can do TRS-80 Model 1, then it can do Osborne
single density - those two machine use almost the same physical format
(except for D.A.M. issues on TRS-80).   The first day that I saw an
Osborne, I looked at sectors on those disks using Superzap (Model 1
Newdos), and Trakcess.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com