Probs w. M3119 CXY08 MUX on VAX VMS 7.3

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Tue Aug 18 21:27:27 CDT 2015

On 08/18/2015 01:00 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> The floating address space was pretty much there from the
> start for the Unibus, even before you had "large" systems.
> For most controllers, only the first one has a fixed
> address, and all others were assigned from the floating
> space. Makes sense, as it was just too costly to
> statically assign space in the I/O page for all possibly
> configurations you could imagine.
The CAPABILITY to do it was always there, that is quite
true.  But, most of the OLD PDP-11 devices had a VERY
limited selection of addresses.  Now, some DID have
something like 6 address bits settable in a jumper or
wire-wrap field, but I know a number of devices had just a
couple DIP switches that limited you to 4 or 8 possible
addresses.  I know on some old stuff I actually cut traces
and re-patched the address select bits to make them run at
non-standard addresses.
My PDP-11 experience started in 1975, and was with stuff
that was probably almost a decade old even then.

>> In some cases, you had to force a device to be at a
>> non-standard
>> address, possibly because a 3rd party device could not be
>> configured at
>> the address the DEC enumeration scheme wanted to put it
>> at. This was
>> pretty easy to do in later VMS systems.
>
> Very easy to do in RSX-11M-PLUS as well. A simple one line
> command, which can be done on the running system.

OK, I ran RSX-11M, but never M-PLUS.  I remember doing
sysgens late at night to reconfigure the I/O addresses.
>> Unfortunately, this type of misconfiguration is fairly
>> hard to detect
>> with software.  Later devices (MSCP)  had an
>> autoconfiguration scheme
>> where the OS would assign the CSR and vector at boot time.
>
> Well, half correct anyway.
> The CSR is never autoassigned. It always is configured by
> switches or jumpers on the board. Some of the more modern
> controllers, like MSCP controllers, setup the vector
> through software.

OK, what I USED to know is just fading away!  Yes, what you
say makes perfect sense.

Jon