More on manuals plus rescue

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Fri Aug 21 13:17:53 CDT 2015

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015, geneb wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2015, Evan Koblentz wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Aug 2015, ethan at 757.org wrote:
>>
>>> Years ago I needed a HP service manual for a plotter I was trying to
>>> repair that I owned. HP of course wouldn't let me have it, so I had to
>>> buy a PDF copy from someone on eBay. I ended up removing the password
>>> and posting it on my website.
>>
>> That's called "stealing".

HP no longer had the manual in their archives so they couldn't provide it.

> No it's not.  At *worst* you're voilating the copyright of someone elses
> copyright violation. COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT IS. NOT. THEFT.  This is not
> my opinion, it's decided case law by the Supreme Court.

Sigh. I'm just going to leave these here...

Release of copyright
http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=download&file=Tektronix/Tektronix_-_Miscelaneous/Tek_Copyright_Release.pdf

Tektronix Policy on Copying of Out-of-date Materials
http://www.tek.com/dl/Tektronix_Policy_on_Copying.pdf

To put this more back on the original subject, Manuals Plus also had
explicit permission from both Tektronix and HP/Agilent/Keysight to
actually duplicate/reprint their manuals. This is why some manuals were so
expensive...they were copied as needed to fill an order, and according to
Becky, it was a very labor intensive process. Jason will know exactly what
I'm talking about here too, as he got their Master (Reprint) manuals.