De-yellowing

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Mon Aug 24 18:52:15 CDT 2015

On Monday (08/24/2015 at 07:41PM -0400), Paul Koning wrote:

> > On Aug 24, 2015, at 7:28 PM, Chris Elmquist <chrise at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > I recently restored several VT100 that were extremely yellowed as well
> > as filthy dirty.
> >
> > I put the plastics in my bathtub and sprayed them heavily with "Krud
> > Kutter", intending only to remove the dirt.  To my surprise, much of
> > the yellowing came off too.
>
> Sometimes yellow is color change of the plastic, and sometimes it's just crud.  Our current home was rather yellow inside when we moved in.  After I sprayed everything with windex and wiped it all down, it was back to white.  The yellow was simply a large amount of tobacco residue from the chain smoking late owner.

oh yes-- I'm very aware of the yellow you get from tobacco smoke and this
was not that.  There was no residue inside the units or any associated
sticky or tar evidence either.

You could also tell where there was more yellowing due to orientation of
the units--  as if they were facing a window or flourescent lights, etc.

Chris
--
Chris Elmquist