IBM 1620

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Aug 28 11:08:27 CDT 2015

On 08/28/2015 05:59 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

> Especially if you didn't have the "direct seek" option.  I had a
> one-card program that would do for (i=0; i<100; i++)
> seek_cylinder(i).  That doesn't step track to track as you would
> expect; instead, it goes from track n to 0 to n+1, resulting in
> progressively wilder and slower seeks as n increases.

Yup, the one I worked with did not have the "direct seek option".  What
was interesting from a historical standpoint was the way in which the
1311 was used by Monitor II-D.   IIRC, the first 25 cylinders were
dubbed "work cylinders" with no formal filesystem.  The remainder was
used for more-or-less permanent storage of programs--not so much as a
data store.

The CADET I worked on did have the Indirect Addressing feature, which I
believe was required to run Monitor II-D.  Hard today to think of an
addressing mode as an optional ($$$) feature.  The Model II had an index
register.

I can still remember many of the 1620 numeric opcodes.  Strange,
considering that I can't remember where I put my keys or what I had for
breakfast...

--Chuck