Oak Ridge PDP setups

Rich Alderson RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Wed Dec 2 13:54:47 CST 2015

From: Todd Killingsworth
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 11:18 AM

>> Lots of places.  The folks at Oak Ridge ("Atomic City") ran a 5-processor
>> SMP configuration.

> Rich - can you elaborate on this any?  Which facility, what was it used
> for?  I've got family from Oak Ridge, and its unusual for my vintage
> computer / atomic history to intersect like this.

Sorry, all I know about the site is mentions in passing by DEC LCG alumni who
worked there at one time or another, in Usenet postings to groups such as
alt.folklore.computers.  To quote an example:

%   From: jmfbahciv <jmfbahciv at aol>
%   Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
%   Subject: Re: Status of Arpanet/Internet in 1976?
%   Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 08:24:48 -0400
%   		<m3ocp4x9x1.fsf at garlic.com> <w9zzl8ovu08.fsf at zipcon.net>
%		<m3d45j9efp.fsf at garlic.com> <m38wg79e5e.fsf at garlic.com>
%		<8ba34ebf-84cd-41d9-9b2e-906782595d42 at n2g2000vba.googlegroups.com>
%
%   JMF's first assignment at DEC in 1970 was to make PDP-10s, PDP-11s,
%   PDP-12, and some IBM machine yak at each other in Oak Ridge.
%   I don't remember which facility it was; a decade later, the same
%   site was running a 5-CPU SMP PDP-10 system, and still serving
%   as the backend to the IBM system.
%
%   /BAH

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Systems Engineer
Living Computer Museum
2245 1st Avenue S
Seattle, WA 98134

mailto:RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org

http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/