DEC MM15 core mem found

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Wed Dec 9 01:52:28 CST 2015

On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 09:42:27PM +0000, Rich Alderson wrote:

> Flip Chip technology was invented for the PDP-7, after the failure of the
> large System Modules used in the PDP-6.  The only part of the PDP-7 which
> uses System Modules(TM) is the DECtape controller for the 555 DECtape
> drives.

After posting I had a nagging feeling I was wrong. I recall seeing both
System Modules and flip chips(light blue?) in relation to PDP-7. Thank
you for clearing that up.

What where the failure(s) with System Modules in the PDP-6? cost?
reliabilty?

> If you'd like to visit the museum, I'll happily show you the internals of
> a running PDP-7. :-)

Oh yes! If/when I cross the atlantic you will have to show me internals
of _everything_. Can you buy a five-day pass? :-)

Thanks,
Pontus.