TOP POSTING (was: RE: Best 200 buck I have ever spent!!! Deal of a lifetime!!!

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 14:56:14 CST 2015

On 12/11/2015 12:56 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 11 December 2015 at 19:47, Dave G4UGM <dave.g4ugm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have searched high and low for a decent e-mail client for Windows. All the
>> ones I have tried suck in some way. Outlook will no longer let me post
>> in-line on HTML mails. FreeBird won't look at calendars. Em is just a pain.
>
> I don't use Windows unless someone pays me to suffer it.
>
> However, I used to use and like Thunderbird and still do on Linux and Mac.

I can't for the life of me get it to thread this list nicely. It works
everywhere else, and is reasonably capable, but for some posts here it
insists on starting a new thread for the same subject, or burying a new
thread (i.e. different subject) deep within an existing one.

I think the former problem is down to a missing 'references' line in a
message (anything from certain posters, e.g. Noel Chiappa and Ed Sharpe,
seems to trigger it). The latter problem I think is when someone replies to
a message purely as a way of populating the 'to' field and then completely
changes the subject line.

Thunderbird's behavior is sort of understandable in both cases, it's just
annoying on a list where traffic can be high; I think what I really want it
to do is *always* thread according to the subject line, then use the
references line (if present) to tie messages with the same subject
together, and to fall back on the message timestamp otherwise.

cheers

Jules