CBM 1541 drive faults

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 11:47:40 CST 2015

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 10:22 AM, tony duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> I've done the obvious, reseating socketed ICs, checking the +12V and +5
>> rails, and checking the on-board CPU reset line. Does anyone have any tips
>> for what's best to try next?
>
> Didn't at least some versions use 2114 RAM chips? If so, then check/change
> those first

I don't think any of the single-disk CBM drives used 2114s (but I
agree - those are favorite suspects when present).  I'm pretty sure
all the units I've worked on have 6116-type 2K SRAMs or perhaps 6264s.
I'd have to go back and check parts lists, but the older dual-drive
units might have had 2114s as the shared memory between the two
processors.

-ethan