Decisions you regret Was: Mystery IC: Allen Bradley 314B102

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Wed Dec 16 11:01:39 CST 2015

On 12/16/2015 9:17 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Brent Hilpert
>
>     > I threw out a print-only selectric a few years ago ... Regret it now,
>     > just because it would have been fun to figure it out. C'est la vie.
>
> I can top that.
>
> MIT offered me (as a gift) the PDP-11/45 that I used to run; it included a
> pair of CalComp 50MB drives, a pair of RK05s, an ABLE ENABLE, 3 H960's, lots
> of other goodies. I blew it off, I was too busy dealing with other things at
> the time (I was on the IESG at that point) to deal with arranging to get it
> shipped down to me. They gave it to someone else, and near as I can work out,
> eventually it got scrapped.
>
> Every time I think about it I kick myself... Sigh!
>
> Although I suspect a lot of people here have stories like that...
>
> 	Noel

Yup.  Same here.

Was at University of Wisconsin surplus, maybe 25 years ago - used to
make regular trips over there, and they knew me pretty well too, and
sent a couple of machines my way once they were not interested in them
anymore.

Anywho, I was looking at a couple of 19" racks containing an odd
computer of some sort.  Had this funny square keyboard, and what looked
like LINCTapes to me.  Looked kinda "home brew", using DEC Flip Chips.
Well a couple of years later I saw a photo of a LINC, and then it was
"head slap" time - I realized I had passed up a LINC.  Could have had it
for $25.  I fear it was probably scrapped.

Sigh.