WTB: PDP-11/03 front bezel

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Thu Dec 17 20:44:54 CST 2015

Subject: Re: WTB: PDP-11/03 front bezel
From:    "Rod Smallwood" <rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com>
Date:    Fri, December 18, 2015 3:17 am
To:      "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>

> On 17/12/2015 16:53, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 09:30:23AM +1000, steven at malikoff.com wrote:
>>> I've been after one for a while, too. I was very kindly offered one from a listmember who would have
>>> taken it off his own machine, but I felt that would have deprived that box.
>>>
>> I'd be divided if I'd get that offer.
>>
>>> I've tried DEC resellers but no luck there.
>>>
>>> If I can get accurate measurements I think i should be able to
>>> knock up a CAD drawing and construct a passable replica from
>>> styrene sheet, a material with which I am very familiar
>>> working with. I have a number of large sheets of it in
>>> different thicknesses already.
>>>
>>> So if anyone can take some photos and measurements for me I'll
>>> add this project to the pile :)
>> :-)
>>
>> /P
> Thats interesting.
> I had  always wondered about what bezels are made of.
> The one off my 8/e seems too heavy for aluminium.
> It must be diecast something  or other.
>
>   I also thought of maybe making a silicone mould and use casting resin.
>
> Rod Smallwood

I've only seen the 11/05 bezel close up - and assuming others are the same - looks to
me a heavier sturdier alloy than Mazak (Zamak in the USA), but I guess it could be.

The bezel could be cast in resin, but resin can shrink and distort a bit. Fibreglass
with a white gelcoat layer could be laid up in a silicone mould too, if care was taken not
to bend the silcone after the laying up the gelcoat. Reminds me of the time I helped build
fourteen kayaks at our house for a scout troop many years ago, I will never forget the
smell of polyester resin and the millions of chopped strand glass fibres getting everywhere!

A vacform (probably styrene) as proposed for the PiDP-11 would also be a good consideration.

I think any of these would look pretty good after spraypainting.

Steve.