Piggybacking 74LS logic chips to confirm a suspected fault

Jonas Otter jonas at otter.se
Fri Dec 25 11:06:58 CST 2015

Stewart

http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2015-12-22-appleiIIe-no-video.htm

 >> One interesting aspect of this repair is that piggy-backing a logic
chip helped
 >> confirm a faulty one. I'd only ever used this technique with RAM.
 >> I'm sure it only works if the chip has a particular type of fault,
but it worked this
 >> time for me.
 >>
 >> Terry (Tez)
 >
 > I use a HP 10529A logic comparator on regular basis for fault finding
in ttl circuits.
 > It compares a reference chip with the CUT (Chip under test;) it's a
very nice diagnostic tool.
 > It's a bit like piggy backing just a little more sophisticated :0
 >
 > -Rik

In my experience, the type of socket you used is quite unreliable and
will tend to develop bad contacts. There is a reason they are cheap... I
would use a turned pin type socket instead, e g an Augat socket. They
will not let you down. More expensive, but considering the work involved
in replacing a socket and the risk of messing up the PCB, the cost is
negligible.

Jonas