Piggybacking 74LS logic chips to confirm a suspected fault

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 25 12:56:31 CST 2015

Years ago, we had EPROMs walk out of machine pin sockets from
vibration when the leads still had the out bent pins for auto machine
inserters. The problem when away when we straightened the pins.
Since then, I don't use one of those IC inserters on machine pin sockets.
I always first straighten the pins and manually insert them.
The IC inserters work well when doing PC boards and solder.
I never really understood why they'd walk out. With the tension
outward, you'd think it would pull them in tighter. After several times
putting them back in, we found no more problems with straightened pins.
Dwight