M9301-YB Bootstrap/Terminator ROM dumps / listings?

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 12:10:58 CST 2015

>     > From: Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
>
>     > The per-device code are in separate PROMs that are used in both the
>     > 9301 and 9312. Those are the ones with the device code as constants
> in
>     > the beginning of memory space for the PROM, by the way.
>
> As I mentioned, the M9301-YA, at least, does not have this code. (See the
> listing.) Also, again on the M9301-YA, the various bootstraps, diagnostics,
> and console, are scattered through both banks (ditto), so one can't just
> replace a PROM or two to chance the supported devices; one would have to
> replace the entire set of 4 PROMs.
>
>     > I hope you also are aware that both the M9301 and the M9312 have
>     > different boot roms for some machines. I know that the 11/70 use
>     > different roms with other tests than other PDP-11s, and I seem to
>     > remember that one or two others do as well. (The 11/60 keeps popping
> up
>     > in my brain...)
>
> I have yet to investigate the M9312's in depth, but I did know there are
> quite
> a few different versions of the M9301 (which amount to different ROMs: I
> know
> there are two different etch revisions of the card itself, but I think they
> are programming-wise identical). I don't know of any good list of the
> variants, but here are the versions I know of (device codes abbreviated to
> save typing):
>
> M9301-YA        /04 and /34 OEM version; has basic diagnostics, console
> emulator,
>                 boots from various devices (RK, RP, TC, TM, DL, PC, TA,
> RX),
>                 supports auto-boot on power on, and also power-fail restart
>
> M9301-YB        /04 and /34 end user version; has basic diagnostics,
> console emulator,
>                 boots from various devices (RK, RP, TC, TM, TA, RX, DL, PC,
>                 RJS, RJP, TJU), also power-fail restart
>
> M9301-YC        /70 version; contains basic CPU, cache and memory
> diagnostics,
>                 boots from various devices (TM, TC, RK, RP, RK06, RJS,
> RJP, TJU, RX)
>
> M9301-YD        All models; contains code to allow a terminal attached to
> the
>                 machine to be a terminal on some other line; also has boot
>                 code for RX and DDCMP
>
> M9301-YE        All models; has basic diagnostics, console emulator; boots
>                 from low speed paper tape or DECnet; supports auto-boot on
>                 power on, and also power-fail restart
>
> M9301-YF        All models (auto-start not available on /45, /50); has
> basic
>                 diagnostics, console emulator, boots from various devices
>                 (RK, RK06, RP, TC, TM, TA, RX, DL, PC, RJS, RJP, TJU)
>                 supports auto-boot on power on, and also power-fail restart
>
> M9301-YH        /60 and /70 version; contains basic CPU, cache and memory
> diagnostics,
>                 boots from various devices (TM, TC, RK, RP, RK06, RJS,
> [...]

I know this is more than half a year ago but I just recently dumped the
contents of the M9301-YB if someone is interested or like to archive it
somewhere.

http://bit.ly/1kqsxwt
http://bit.ly/1Pvuzql
http://bit.ly/1JHsJyl
http://bit.ly/1YQ9OrZ

I combined the files into one binary file:

http://bit.ly/1MFbVrq

and did some initial checking of the code. It is fairly similar to the
disassembly that Noel Chiappa has provided earlier, although the different
routines are arranged in completely new way.

/Mattis