Incandescent lights [Re: It's time to restore the 11/45.]

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Feb 5 15:33:10 CST 2015

On 02/05/2015 01:14 PM, Tothwolf wrote:

> I don't have links to all the relevant documents handy, but 100W, 75W,
> 60W and 40W are all banned from import or manufacture in the US (rough
> service bulbs are exempt...for now at least). Stores are allowed to sell
> off existing stocks and inventory, and many chains stocked up heavily
> before the second half (60W/40W) of the light bulb ban took effect.

A quick tour of my local big-box store shows that halogen versions of
these standard incandescents are available.  So a 72W halogen = 100W
standard; 43W halogen = 60W standard, etc.

> T12 (1-1/2" diameter) fluorescent light tubes and magnetic ballasts were
> also similarly banned under the 'Energy Independence and Security Act of
> 2007', and like with 60W and 40W incandescents, many chain stores
> stocked up heavily on T12 tubes. When they are gone though, they are
> gone (unless the law changes and consumers force the manufacturers to
> bring those product lines back).

There are LOTS of them left in stock; I can go to any big-box store and
buy them.  The odd thing is that the more energy-efficient T8 lamps are
more expensive than the remaining T12s.  Converting from T12 to T8 is
mostly a matter of changing out the ballast--which you may want to do
anyway, as the old iron ballasts weren't terribly efficient and did have
a tendency to develop an annoying hum.

--Chuck