Stupid AC wiring question (220-ish Volts...)

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 21:59:04 CST 2015

  What you're describing seems perfect to me, power-wise.  I use that sort
of 220 setup for arc welders and such.

( ### Before trying test below, keep one hand in pocket if you're new at
this - don't risk getting one leg of mains power through each hand and
across your heart, which can make it stop ### )

    When you put your meter across the two hot wires, do you get something
in the 220 to 240 AC volts range?  If yes (obviously dryer wouldn't run,
otherwise), you're good and that would pretty much be your answer.  For
extra safety, plug the meter probes in with the breaker off, then turn
breaker on and read it so you don't ever have to touch anything dangerous.

  If you're reading 220-240 and you want to go forward with testing the
computer, I guess the lack of chassis grounding you're describing could be
an annoyance, but if you have good old steel pipe for your water service,
you could just ground the chassis to that with a clamp for a quick power-up
test.

 Then if your machine's ok, get the electrician in there and have it set up
to code.

  Since I'm not an electrician, I'd wait for a little more corroboration
than just my $0.02, though.  My level of training is "back-yard" at best.

--jake