11/45 hack?

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 00:41:33 CST 2015

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 12:46 AM, Paul Anderson <useddec at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it's not.
>
> Do you only have one G401?  strange...

  no, no, I have currently one mos/bipolar controller running one bipolar
memory board on the main 11/45 backplane.  Sexy but expensive and not
nearly enough to get stuff done in unix.  Then I have three 4KW core sets,
each on its own backplane with controller.  Very neat but very
space-consuming!

  I've decided that I'm probably going to remove the bipolar and core and
replace it with a plain old 124KW M7891 MS11.  Freeing up that space the
core is currently taking will allow me to install a plain dd11 backplane
for the other features I need.  Things like SMD big disk controller,
ethernet, dz11 terminal board, 124KW memory, etc. without having to go to
aother cabinet.  These all require MUD/SPC slots and I have *none*
currently.  So the core goes.  So sad.  I have a number of other pdp11s, so
it'll find a good use.  Unless someone out there wants to do a little
horse-trading!.

  But anyway, I'm getting waay ahead of myself here because I haven't even
been through the power yet.  Boards are all out and I'm enlisting the help
of my ee buddies to try to repair my H745s on Monday, so I'll play with the
good old 11/34 until then!

Thanks for the interest & comments!

--jake